What visa do I need to teach English in Spain?

Spain attracts a large number of ESL teachers from all over the world due to the culture and healthy job market. The type of visa you require varies depending on your nationality, so we recommend that you check with the Spanish embassy website before making any plans to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.

What visa do EU citizens need to teach English in Spain?

Spain is a long-standing member of the European Union so anyone with an EU passport can live and work freely in the country without a visa. However, EU citizens still need to apply for a residency permit and a tax number as soon as they arrive. The application process for this is generally very straightforward and your employer will normally help you with it.

What visa do non-EU citizens need to teach English in Spain?

The most common route for non-EU citizens is to enter Spain on a 90-day tourist visa that is issued on arrival at the airport. A large number of teachers simply find a job and work on their tourist visa, which is technically illegal but common practice and is unlikely to be a problem in most cases. Thousands of Americans and other non-European teachers go down this route to teaching English in Spain every year.

Can I get a work visa to teach English in Spain?

As getting an official work visa in Spain can be time consuming and quite expensive, many employers are not willing to go down this route. There are exceptions, particularly in international schools who generally only employ highly qualified and experienced teachers. If you qualify for a work placement via the Ministry of Education's public school recruitment program you will also be issued with a full work visa.

Can I get a working holiday visa to teach English in Spain?

Some governments have made a deal with Spain that allows their citizens to work in the country for a specific length of time (usually a year), although these often include certain restrictions. This type of visa is typically restricted to people aged 18 to 30, and proof of sufficient finances to see you through the length of the visa is required. Countries that currently have a working holiday agreement with Spain include Australia, New Zealand and Canada. These agreements can change at any time so you should contact a Spanish Embassy to get the correct information.

Can I teach English in Spain with a student visa?

A student visa is another option that is suitable for some teachers. These are issued to people who want to study at a Spanish language school or university. The real advantage of this option is that many student visas also allow you to work legally for a set number of hours each week. If you plan on going down this route you will need to apply in advance before you leave your home country. Once again, a Spanish Embassy will be able to provide full details of available study programs and advice on the application process.

Register for your TEFL/TESOL Course!

  • 1The registration process is free and does not commit you in any way.
  • 2Anyone fluent in English and aged 18+ is eligible for our courses.
  • 3No previous experience or qualifications are required.
  • 4Register today and receive a free e-guide covering the basics of TEFL/TESOL.
  • 5All online courses are entirely flexible and self-paced. Work at your own pace in your own time!

Personal data
Choose your course
   Online Course
   In-Class Course
   Combined Course
The personal information we collect on this page will be treated in accordance with our privacy policy.
By submitting this form you declare to have read and agreed to the Terms & Conditions.