How do I find a job teaching English in Italy?

Italy remains one of Europe?s top destinations for teaching English abroad due to its popular culture, Mediterranean climate, and its laid back approach to life. To ensure you maximise your potential in the local job market, we recommend that you follow these simple tips.

What are the basic requirements for teaching English in Italy?

The main requirement you will need to teach ESL in Italy is an internationally recognised TESOL qualification. Almost all respected employers in all regions of the country will expect their job applicants to have taken the time to complete a relevant teacher training course.

What is the best way to apply for jobs teaching English in Italy?

Although a small percentage of vacant positions are advertised online, most jobs are secured following an in-person interview on the school premises. The most common and straightforward approach is to simply fly into the city of your choice and immediately start your job search with your CV/resume and TEFL certificate in hand. While this approach can seem a little daunting at first, it is a tried and tested method that usually leads to employment in a short space of time.

When is the best time to apply for jobs teaching English in Italy?

If you want to have a wide choice of jobs it is best to arrive in Italy during or prior to the main hiring season that takes place in September. At the end of the previous term thousands of teachers will have left their jobs to return home or move onto another position, which creates plenty of opportunities for new arrivals. There is also a smaller hiring window during the month of January.

What visa will I need to teach English in Italy?

As EU citizens can work in Italy without any visa or work permit, UK and Irish passport holders can have a big advantage in the job market. For non-EU citizens, the necessary work permits can be notoriously difficult to obtain which leads many people to simply work with nothing other than a tourist visa in their passport. This practice is not strictly legal, however, it is widespread and is largely overlooked by the authorities. If this approach doesn?t appeal, you could apply for a student visa which allows you to work a certain number of hours on top of your official study. To apply for this visa option you have to enroll in a government approved course (typically an Italian language course). One further option that is open to citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Canada is to apply for a working holiday visa. This option is valid for a year, although they are usually restricted to people aged 18 to 30.

Register for your TEFL/TESOL Course!

  • 1The registration process is free and does not commit you in any way.
  • 2Anyone fluent in English and aged 18+ is eligible for our courses.
  • 3No previous experience or qualifications are required.
  • 4Register today and receive a free e-guide covering the basics of TEFL/TESOL.
  • 5All online courses are entirely flexible and self-paced. Work at your own pace in your own time!

Personal data
Choose your course
   Online Course
   In-Class Course
   Combined Course
The personal information we collect on this page will be treated in accordance with our privacy policy.
By submitting this form you declare to have read and agreed to the Terms & Conditions.