Can I get a work visa to teach English in Mexico?

One of the reasons why Mexico is an increasingly popular teaching destination is the fact that it is possible for most foreign teachers to get a work visa. Also, there is no requirement for you to possess a degree or to be a native English speaker in order to apply for one. As long as you possess a TESOL certification from a reputable provider, you are eligible for a work visa in Mexico.

What are the requirements for a work visa to teach English in Mexico?

The great news for foreign ESL teachers is that there are very few restrictions on who can apply for a work visa for teaching English in Mexico. The only nationalities that are not eligible to apply are those from North Korea and Iran and there are no age limits either. A TESOL certificate is required, but there is no need to have a college degree or any previous teaching experience. The only other thing you will need is a formal offer of employment written on official school paper. However, these regulations are subject to change at anytime so you should check with a Mexican Embassy for the current requirements.

What is the visa application process for teaching English in Mexico?

To start the visa process you need to secure an offer of employment from a school, language center or any other employer of teachers. You then need to complete an application form which can be found on the Mexico immigration website. Within a week or two you should receive a confirmation email that also includes a request for additional documentation. These documents need to be sent off with the application fee (currently $90). Required paperwork (subject to change):

- Copies of passport pages

- Tourist visa that was issued on arrival

- Three passport photos

- Proof of residence (apartment, guest house, hostel etc)

- Copy of your TESOL certificate (apostilled)

What happens once I have applied for my visa in Mexico?

Once you have sent the requested documents you will be given a NUT number which allows you to keep track of your application online. When the visa is granted you must collect it within 15 days from a consulate outside of the country. Upon collection a final fee is required (currently $290), after which you have 30 days to re-enter Mexico to activate the visa. The work visa is valid for one year and is easily renewed if you want to stay longer.

Can I get help with my visa application in Mexico?

The application process in Mexico can often be a little confusing and the requirements can change without notice, so many people use a third party to take care of it for them. There are plenty of companies that will help you through the process for a fee, although you might be lucky and have an employer who is happy to take care of it for free. Make sure you confirm what help they are willing to provide during your initial job interview.

Register for your TEFL/TESOL Course!

  • 1The registration process is free and does not commit you in any way.
  • 2Anyone fluent in English and aged 18+ is eligible for our courses.
  • 3No previous experience or qualifications are required.
  • 4Register today and receive a free e-guide covering the basics of TEFL/TESOL.
  • 5All online courses are entirely flexible and self-paced. Work at your own pace in your own time!

Personal data
Choose your course
   Online Course
   In-Class Course
   Combined Course
The personal information we collect on this page will be treated in accordance with our privacy policy.
By submitting this form you declare to have read and agreed to the Terms & Conditions.